Sea moss is a nutrient-rich seaweed that has become increasingly popular for its health benefits, especially among celebrities like Kim Kardashian. It's a form of edible seaweed that can be added to smoothies, soups and other dishes. While it is generally considered safe, taking too much can cause adverse effects. High levels of iodine in sea moss could also pose a health risk.
Excessive iodine consumption can lead to iodine toxicity, which in turn can lead to thyroid dysfunction, including conditions such as hyperthyroidism, thyroiditis, or goiter. Consuming large amounts of sea moss can cause digestive disorders, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Taking sea moss along with amiodarone may increase iodine levels in the blood. Too much iodine in the blood can cause side effects that affect the thyroid.
Drinking too much sea moss can cause some unpleasant side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Sea moss is also appreciated for its algal polysaccharide, which is extracted from carrageenan and has medicinal and health-related properties. There's no scientific evidence to support this, but the idea is that sea moss works in a similar way to chia seeds and aloe in this regard. When consumed in normal amounts, sea moss is generally safe and may have health benefits.
However, excessive consumption of Irish moss may mean that you are ingesting too much iodine. If you're thinking about taking sea moss supplements, it's important to talk to your healthcare provider first. Most people are familiar with the benefits of sea moss but it's worth remembering that you can't supplement it with a poor diet. Taking sea moss above the recommended amount of 1 to 2 tablespoons per day for adults can cause side effects, from gastrointestinal disorders to metal toxicity and poisoning.
Keep in mind that sea moss is generally considered safe, but as with any new supplement, it's always best to start slowly and increase the dose gradually.